DURHAM — Murder suspect Crystal Mangum has changed her mind about representing herself and asked for a third court-appointed attorney.
In a Thursday hearing before Chief Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson, Mangum said attorney Scott Holmes has agreed to take her case if he is appointed by the courts Indigent Defense Services.
Hudson agreed to allow Mangum to ask for an attorney, but IDS will make its own decision on whom to appoint.
I cant make IDS go against their rules, Hudson said.
Mangum said that if Holmes is not appointed, she would prefer to continue as her own lawyer. Prosecutors have said Woody Vann, whom Mangum dismissed last year over trust issues, should be reappointed since he is already familiar with the case. Vann had been appointed after Mangums first attorney, Chris Shella, resigned from the case.
Mangum faces charges of first-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon and larceny in the death of Reginald Daye, 46, who died at Duke Hospital 10 days after Mangum stabbed him in April 2011. Her trial is scheduled for July 8.
Mangum gained national notoriety after accusing three Duke lacrosse players of rape in 2006. The charges were discredited and then-District Attorney Mike Nifong was disbarred for misconduct in his handling of the case.