Marquette 59, Davidson 58

Davidson’s upset bid ends with blown lead, Vander Blue layup

jjones@charlotteobserver.comMarch 21, 2013 

— In the bowels of Kentucky’s Rupp Arena in an auxiliary locker room Thursday sat members of the Davidson men’s basketball team.

No one was speaking. No one was crying. No one even touched the complimentary personal pan pizzas sitting near the door.

The No. 14-seeded Wildcats had just allowed a seven-point lead to evaporate with less than two minutes remaining in their NCAA tournament game against No. 3-seeded Marquette. The Golden Eagles won 59-58 on Vander Blue’s layup with one second left.

Marquette, one of the nation’s worst 3-point shooting teams at 30.1 percent, hit three contested 3-pointers in the final 63 seconds to stay in contention before Blue’s running layup over 6-foot-10 Jake Cohen sealed the win.

“They made some big, big shots,” said Cohen, a senior forward. “I thought we defended them pretty well in the last minute there. All you got to do is get one of those stops. But they made those 3s to keep them in it and they got that one turnover they needed.”

That turnover came with 6.7 seconds left when Davidson junior forward De’Mon Brooks tried to pass out of a backcourt double-team to guard Nik Cochran, the nation’s leading free-throw shooter at 94.1 percent.

Brooks had gone 5 for 11 from the free-throw line, and the Golden Eagles swarmed him in an attempt to put him back on the line. Instead, his off-balance, overhead pass to Cochran near midcourt was overthrown and went out of bounds.

“That’s a lot of weight on De’Mon’s shoulders,” said Davidson senior forward Clint Mann. “He pretty much took us here. It’s all those plays throughout the game that matter.”

Davidson led 54-48 with 1 minute, 3 seconds left when Jamil Wilson hit Marquette’s second 3-pointer of the game. Brooks made a layup on the other end, but Blue countered with another 3-pointer with 28 seconds left.

Cochran made both free throws to give Davidson a 58-54 lead, but Wilson made another 3-pointer nine seconds later to make it 58-57 before the ensuing turnover by Brooks.

“We came out the second half, had the momentum from the start,” Brooks said. “We left it all on the floor. Just one play. One play got us.”

Davidson led 25-23 at halftime thanks partly to a 12-2 run to start the game. But the Wildcats went nearly seven minutes without a point after making their first four 3-point attempts.

Cohen, the Southern Conference Player of the Year, finished with a game-high 20 points on 8-of-18 shooting. Brooks and Cochran each scored 11.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service