Durward F. Gunnells: Soda part of problem

March 24, 2013 

Soda part

of problem

Barry Saunders’ March 18 column “Soda ban didn’t go far enough” about a judge in New York overturning a ban on the sale of soft drinks in cups larger than 16 ounces missed the point.

At only 7 percent, calories from soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages are a small fraction of the American diet. Focusing on 7 percent of calories, while ignoring the other 93 percent, misses the point. Obesity is a complex health problem in America that can’t be narrowed down to one food or beverage. The National Institutes for Health says inactivity, environment, genetics, health conditions, medicines, emotional factors and age are among the causes of obesity. Blaming soda is simplistic and shortsighted.

Durward F. Gunnells

Raleigh

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service