Raleigh woman still missing, but calls family to say she is safe

mcaulder@newsobserver.comMarch 26, 2013 

— Family members of a Raleigh woman, missing since Thursday morning, had some good news to share Tuesday.

Following media reports that she had been reported missing, Kimberly Bullock Thomas, 45, called her family Tuesday morning from a gas station on Garrett Road in Durham and left a message that she was safe.

Her husband, Bobby Thomas, went to the gas station, but she was no longer there. He said Tuesday that he’s just happy knowing that his wife is alive and safe.

“It’s great. She’s not home, but we know she isn’t hurt or in an accident,” he said. “It puts us at ease, at least for right now.”

Thomas reported his wife missing after she left their home Thursday morning and failed to return. She had been fired from G.M. Hock Construction Inc. the day before, and was going to see whether she could get her job back, he said.

Steve Hubrick, vice president of Hock Construction, said she met with her former employers, but left there around 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

But when she didn’t return home Thursday evening, Bobby Thomas began to search for her. He didn’t think she had money with her, and she had not accessed their bank accounts, so he filed a missing persons report with Raleigh police on Friday.

Detectives reviewed the phone message and have suspended their active investigation into Kimberly Thomas’ disappearance, according to police spokesman Jim Sughrue.

Caulder: 919-829-4758

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service