Chapel Hill woman injured in Virginia bus crash discharged from hospital

tmcdonald@newsobserver.comApril 8, 2013 

A tour bus carrying eight passengers and a driver from Chapel Hill to Hampton, Va., crashed in southern Virginia on Friday morning after running off the right side of U.S. 58, killing a Chapel Hill man.

COURTESY VIRGINIA STATE POLICE

— A Chapel Hill woman who was thrown from a chartered bus last week in Virginia was discharged Monday from a hospital in Norfolk.

A Chapel Hill woman who was thrown from a chartered bus in an accident that killed her husband last week was discharged from a Virginia hospital Monday.

Theresa Watson and her husband, Doval Watson, 58, were both ejected from the bus that was carrying high school students to Hampton University on Friday morning.

Emergency workers pronounced Doval Watson dead at the scene and airlifted his wife, who was described as having suffered “major injuries,” to Norfolk General Hospital.

Theresa Watson’s condition improved over the weekend, and she was discharged Monday morning, said hospital spokesman Dale Gauding.

Each year, the Watsons organized a chartered bus trip for high schoolers from the Chapel Hill area to visit Hampton University. Doval Watson earned his undergraduate degree from the school, and three of the couple’s four children have either graduated from or are currently attending the historically black school in Hampton, Va.

Friday’s accident occurred about 7 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of U.S. 58 between Emporia and Franklin, Va., police said. Six other passengers on the bus, ranging in age from 13 to 17, were not injured, police said.

Police charged the bus driver, Larry Brocks, 62, of Raleigh with reckless driving. Investigators think Brocks lost control of the bus when it ran off the right side of the road, caromed into a ditch and flipped onto its right side.

The Virginia State Police investigation of the bus accident is ongoing. Once it is complete, the case will be presented to the Commonwealth’s Attorney who will determine if additional charges will be filed, said police spokeswoman Sgt Michelle Anaya.

McDonald: 919-829-4533

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service