Friends, family say Raleigh man who died after Tasing incident battled PTSD after Gulf War

tmcdonald@newsobserver.comApril 20, 2013 

Thomas Sadler


  • Witnesses contradict police report of fatal encounter

    A couple who witnessed the fatal confrontation between Thomas Sadler and Raleigh police offered a version of events that differs from the official account provided by police last week.

    On April 10, about 3:45 a.m., police were dispatched to Wiggs and Mial streets in the Five Points neighborhood to investigate multiple 911 calls about a “naked man, running around screaming at the top of his lungs and pounding on the top of his car,” according to the police department’s report.

    When Raleigh officer M.A. Ford arrived, he found Sadler “naked in front of his house.” Ford and fellow officer S.M. Archambault said Sadler first complied with their demands that he sit down, but that his demeanor changed and he began to utter profanities before he “leapt” to his feet and began to charge Ford with his fists clenched and held out in front of his face.

    Ford, reported that he thought that he was in danger, drew his Taser and discharged it at Sadler, who fell to the ground. Archambault attempted to secure Sadler’s arm behind his back, but was “bucked off” by Sadler who was still “actively resisting,” despite repeated commands to place his hands behind his back, according to the report.

    The officers had difficulty getting control of Sadler, and Ford used the Taser several times as Archambeault tried to handcuff him, according to the report.

    Jessica Mollet and Clark Aflague, who live across the street from Sadler, say the first time Ford discharged his Taser Sadler did not appear to have his fists clenched. Molet said Sadler was leaning forward while moving and pointing at the parking lot of nearby Emmanuel Baptist Church, as if he was speaking to someone there. The couple heard the police say “stop.” At the moment the Taser was used, Molet said there was a loud “Zzzzzip” sound and Sadler fell hard, face first, to the ground with a “boom.”

    Molet said Sadler then rose to his feet but wobbled like a punch-drunk boxer before crumpling again in the street, lying face-down.

    Molet laid on her front porch to demonstrate how prone and still Sadler was while one of the officers straddled his back and handcuffed one of his wrists while asking him to raise his other arm to be handcuffed. Molet showed how Sadler barely rose his head from the ground and slightly lifted his legs.

    “There wasn’t any bucking that we saw,” she said.

    In their report, police said Sadler continued to resist arrest and making “growling” sounds before he grew quiet. Sadler’s former wife, Lynn Sadler, a registered nurse, thinks the “growls” the officers heard were not audible efforts to resist arrest.

    “I imagine he was gurgling, trying to breathe,” she said. “When people die, they have a death rattle in their throat.”

— Thomas “Tommy” Sadler emerged in the public spotlight on April 10 as a naked man yelling obscenities in a church parking lot just before he died after a Raleigh police officer used a Taser stun gun to try to subdue him.

Stan Williams, Sadler’s morning coffee drinking buddy, recognizes that part of his friend.

“He had anger issues,” Williams said of Sadler. “It was like a temper tantrum lived under his skin, ready to explode at any moment, like Tourette’s syndrome. It just comes.”

But Williams also remembers a guy who loved his parents and daydreamed of owning a silver, 1969 Plymouth GTX with a burgundy interior. Williams said casual conversations at their favorite coffee shop on Hillsborough Street would often turn serious when Sadler asked him how to better communicate with his live-in girlfriend or how to tell his son he loved him.

“He was just a big, fat country boy who loved his Mommy and Daddy,” said Williams, 50, of Raleigh. “He was like a little kid in a 45 year old’s body.”

During his encounter with police, Sadler collapsed in the middle of the street, about 50 yards from the home he rented on Mial Street in the Five Points neighborhood, and was pronounced dead. The State Bureau of Investigation is reviewing the incident. The results of an autopsy to determine how Sadler died have not been released.

Thomas Jeffrey Sadler grew up in the small town of Powhatan, Va., west of Richmond. After high school, he enlisted in the U.S. Marines and saw combat during the Gulf War, according to his ex-wife, Lynn Sadler.

After his military discharge, Sadler briefly attended two small colleges in Virginia but left school and was invited to try out as a linebacker with the Cleveland Browns and Green Bay Packers, Lynn Sadler said. She said her former husband’s dreams of a pro football career were quashed after he injured his knee.

Instead, he enrolled at George Mason University in Northern Virginia and majored in sociology. Lynn Sadler was studying nursing at Shenandoah University. A cousin of hers introduced them.

“We fell in love immediately and became the best of friends,” she said.

The Sadlers graduated in the spring of 1998 and married later that year. Their only child, Thomas James “TJ” Sadler, is now 12. The couple purchased a townhome in a new subdivision in Bristow, Va., southwest of Washington, D.C. Tommy Sadler worked in portfolio management for a private company, while his wife worked as a nurse.

“He was making bank,” Lynn Sadler said. “It was well over $100,000.”

Lynn Sadler said she and her former husband were building a new home when things started to go downhill.

“He changed,” she said. “He was irritable, unsettled, and he just couldn’t seem to find his niche anymore and instead of laughing we were having more arguments.”

Tommy Sadler was also having nightmares about the Gulf War.

“He would be back over there in his mind,” Lynn Sadler said. “He would relive those things.”

The couple separated and divorced in 2007. Tommy Sadler moved to North Carolina, and Lynn Sadler moved into the new home they had built.

“I loved him, but we weren’t able to have a healthy relationship anymore,” she said. “Even my best friend loved him. She bawled her eyes out when she heard about the divorce. He told funny stories and always had lots of interesting things to talk about. He was witty and had a very creative mind.”

Lynn Sadler said her former husband was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress syndrome while living in North Carolina. She remained in touch with him and spoke to him regularly by phone until last summer.

She says when he died in the street earlier this month without any clothes on that it was not the first time police had found him like that. A few years ago, she said, Tommy Sadler called her sometime after midnight, saying “the most bizarre things.”

“He told me George Strait was an angel on his shoulder. I didn’t know what was going on. I called his parents,” she said. “Then I tried to call him back, but he didn’t answer.”

A few hours later, she received a call from WakeMed in Raleigh.

“They told me the police had found Tommy walking the streets of Raleigh naked,” she said. “He gave them my number and said I was his wife and would come pick him up. His parents called me the next day and said that was his third episode.”

Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue declined to say if police have had previous encounters with Tommy Sadler.

Williams said he met his coffee-drinking buddy more than 10 years ago. Most mornings the two would pal around at Cup A Joe on Hillsborough Street. Williams described his friend as “a big bag of flour with no muscle tone who couldn’t beat his way out of a wet paper bag with a bulldozer after church on Sunday.”

“He had great love on the inside, but the anger, that’s what people saw,” he said.

Williams last talked with his friend at Cup A Joe the morning before he died. “He was not in a good state of mind that day,” Williams said. “He wasn’t saying what exactly was going on. He talked about being fat and out of shape. He couldn’t work because he had just had surgery on his shoulder.

“I’m trying to look at what happened spiritually. Tommy’s not in turmoil anymore. He’s drinking good coffee, got himself a big buffet and a 1969 Plymouth GTX.”

McDonald: 919-829-4533

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service