Fire destroys apartments near NCSU

From staff reportsApril 27, 2013 

— Fire destroyed most of an apartment complex near N.C. State University early Saturday, but no one was injured. The fire was blamed on improperly discarded smoking material.

A neighbor reported the blaze at University Commons, 1501 Graduate Lane, about 4 a.m. When the first fire units arrived they found large flames coming from the roof of the three-story, wood-frame building. The fire was declared under control at 6 a.m., according to a report released by the Raleigh Fire Department.

Twenty-five tenants were displaced by the fire.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service