Under the Dome

Dome: Four Dems want Voller out as interim executive director

From Staff ReportsMay 9, 2013 

Four members of the state Democratic Party are trying to remove chairman Randy Vollmer as interim executive director, saying he violated procedure when he named himself to that post.

Voller is the Democratic Party chairman. He has been heading up a search for a permanent executive director to replace Jay Parmley, who resigned last year amid allegations of sexual harassment, which he denied.

The members have filed a formal petition with the party’s Council of Review. It asks the council to reverse the actions Voller took April 28, when he appointed himself without the approval of the executive committee. The petitioners say that was beyond the scope of his authority.

Voller also improperly appointed 12 people to be co-chairs of the sustaining fund, which made them members of the executive council, the petition says, which had the effect of solidifying his self-appointment.

The petition wouldn’t affect his position as party chairman.

“My fellow petitioners and I do not file this petition lightly,” according to a copy of the cover letter with the petition provided to Dome. Nor do they mean ill will toward Voller nor the 12 appointees, it says. Rather, they say they seek to clarify and enforce the rules and the power of the party chairman.

The author of the cover letter was Raleigh attorney John D. Burns.

Hagan backs tax legislation

U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan said Thursday she is backing legislation to simplify federal tax returns for seniors.

The Seniors’ Tax Simplifications Act of 2013 would create a new form, the 1040-SR, where seniors could list Social Security and pension income, instead of having to use multiple forms. Seniors cannot use the current simple tax form because it doesn’t allow for Social Security and pensions.

The bill “is intended to simplify this process for individuals 65 and older, creating a new, easy-to-read income tax form,” Hagan said in a teleconference from Washington.

Other co-sponsors are Sens. Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson, both of Florida.

Participating in the news conference was Doug Dickerson, state AARP director.

McIntyre’s in the red zone

In case there was any doubt – and there shouldn’t be any at this point – Republicans have painted a really big target on the back of Democratic U.S. Rep. Mike McIntyre.

McIntyre, the 7th district lawmaker from Lumberton, barely survived a GOP challenge last year in his newly drawn district.

The National Republican Congressional Campaign Committee has now put McIntyre in its Red Zone, meaning he’s been targeted for defeat.

Seven Democrats are slated for special attention by political operatives in the Red Zone program: McIntyre, John Barrow of Georgia, Jim Matheson of Utah, Ann Kirkpatrick and Ron Barber of Arizona, Nick Rahall of West Virginia and Collin Peterson of Minnesota.

McIntyre’s campaign responded with a statement: “Last fall’s election is over, and it is time to work together to create jobs and take care of the needs of our area. People are sick of the negativism and distortions that this Washington political group promotes. Congressman McIntyre will continue to do the job he was elected to do and is grateful for the Republicans, Democrats, and Independents who worked together to support him.”

Staff writers Craig Jarvis and Rob Christensen

Send tips to dome@newsobserver.com.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service