RALEIGH — More than 2,500 people are expected to swim, bike and run 70 miles between Jordan Lake and downtown Raleigh on Sunday, and some streets will be closed along their route.
The closures include much of Hillsborough Street and Lake Wheeler Road, including all four exits from Interstate 40 near the N.C. Farmers Market.
The Ironman 70.3 Triathlon starts at 7 a.m. with a 1.2-mile swim off Vista Point Beach, on the western shore of Lake Jordan.
When the racers emerge from the water, they’ll get on bikes and ride 56 miles through eastern Chatham and southwestern Wake counties, entering Raleigh from the south on Lake Wheeler Road.
On South Street, in front of the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts, the racers will get off their bikes and start running.
The 13.1-mile running course will take them out Hillsborough Street to Meredith College, where they’ll follow a greenway trail to the N.C. Museum of Art. Then they’ll turn around and head back downtown.
The race will finish in City Plaza in front of the Marriott Hotel on Fayetteville Street.
Lane and road closures
Right lane of U.S. 64 between Pea Ridge and Beaver Creek, 7 to 10 a.m.
• Right lane of U.S. 55 Bypass between Avent Ferry and Old Smithfield heading north, 8 a.m. to noon.
Lake Wheeler Road north of Tryon Road, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• Exits from Interstate 40 to Lake Wheeler Road, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• Saunders Street between Lake Wheeler Road and South Street, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• South Street between Saunders and Wilmington, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Left lane of Wilmington between South and Edenton, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Left lane of Edenton between Wilmington and Salisbury, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Salisbury between Edenton and Hillsborough, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Hillsborough Street between Salisbury Street and Meredith College, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• House Creek Greenway Trail from Meredith College to the Art Museum, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Fayetteville Street between Morgan and Lenoir, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.