RALEIGH — Police on Tuesday filed a charge of assault with a deadly weapon against the Cary man already accused in a weekend hit-and-run accident that killed one woman and injured another.
Adetoye Adekanmbi, 33, had been free on bail after a first appearance on hit-and-run charges in the death of Natalie Chidlaw, 18, of Cary and the injury of Meghan Clark, 18, of Fuquay-Varina early Saturday on Hillsborough Street near Dixie Trail.
Wednesday, Adekanmbi was being held in lieu of $250,000 bail for a court appearance on the new charge of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury in connection with Clark’s being hurt.
The new charge “reflects the continuing nature of the follow-up investigation of the case,” police spokesman Jim Sughrue said.
Chidlaw was pronounced dead at the scene of the 12:45 a.m. accident.
Clark was taken to WakeMed Hospital in Raleigh for treatment and had been in good condition, and a hospital spokeswoman said Wednesday that she was no longer listed as a patient.
Adekanmbi was first arrested Saturday on two counts of felony hit-and-run and a charge of driving with a revoked license.
Police said they tracked him to his home at 103 E. Chalfont Way based on witnesses’ description of the Volkswagen car that hit the women and drove off.
A tip to police said a Volkswagen parked near Adekanmbi’s home had damage consistent with the accident.
Chidlaw and Clark were friends from high school, a family member said.
A service for Chidlaw will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at Raleigh Mennonite Church, which meets at Hope Charter Elementary, 1116 N. Blount St.