Under the Dome

Dome: High Point businessman Webb to run for Coble’s seat in Congress

June 23, 2013 

High Point businessman Don Webb, a Republican, last week announced that he would run for the seat held by veteran GOP U.S. Rep. Howard Coble.

Webb said he would offer a more conservative alternative to Coble, who he noted had voted to raise the debt ceiling during the past 29 years.

“Many Republicans say they are committed to cutting the size and scope of government,” Webb said in a statement. “Yet, year after year, the same people forget their commitments and, instead, add burdens to citizens by refusing to lead this nation responsibly. It’s time for a representative who will fight for less government control and more individual freedom.”

Webb’s challenge comes at a time when there has been considerable speculation about whether Coble, who is 82 and who has had health problems, will seek another term. District Attorney Phil Berger Jr. has been looking at the 6th District race as has Mark Walker, a music minister from Greensboro.

Webb, a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, is a financial adviser and the manager of a local branch of a national wealth management institution. He is a member of the Piedmont Triad Airport Authority, High Point University’s Board of Visitors, and the High Point Regional Health Foundation Board.

Mental health rally planned

Mental health care advocates are holding another rally at the Legislative Building over the budget. NAMI North Carolina is sponsoring the Tuesday gathering.

The group is opposing a Senate budget provision that would require doctors to receive authorization before prescribing anti-psychotic drugs to Medicaid patients. They support money for statewide aid to group homes. The House budget includes $8 million for group homes, but includes eligibility restrictions NAMI North Carolina does not like. A May rally by mental health care advocates protested the Senate budget.

House and Senate negotiators are beginning to work on a compromise budget that can pass both chambers.

Municipalities leader to retire

Ellis Hankins announced last week his plans to retire as executive director of the North Carolina League of Municipalities, the main voice for cities and towns in the state.

Hankins has been executive director since 1997 and had previously served as the league’s assistant general counsel, associate general counsel, general counsel and chief lobbyist, before leaving for a period for private law practice.

Hankins will remain with the league through January.

“It has been a great privilege to work for great public servants across North Carolina,” Hankins said. “I’m very proud what the League has helped our municipal membership accomplish. We have had many successes and also weathered many challenges. I am confident that the league and our cities and towns are well positioned for success in the future.”

Staff writers Lynn Bonner, Rob Christensen and John Frank

Send tips to dome@newsobserver.com.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service