Police search driver's phone for text messages after Cary accident

From staff reportsJuly 2, 2013 

— A police officer investigating an auto accident that critically injured a pedestrian last month searched the car driver's cell phone to find out if she had been texting at the time, according to a search warrant returned to court clerks.

Senior Officer D.P. Keena asked a magistrate for the warrant on June 21, the day after the accident in which a Chrysler PT Cruiser driven by Kelsey Megan Pittman, 22, of Apex hit 18-year-old Mohamed Farhan of Raleigh when he was crossing the street at Crossroads Boulevard and Jones Franklin Road.

Farhan remained in critical condition at WakeMed Hospital in Raleigh on Tuesday.

In the application, Keena wrote that an officer at the scene said Pittman’s phone showed several text messages close to the time of the 9:45 p.m. accident, and police seized the Motorola Razr phone as evidence.

They then sought the warrant so they could examine its contents.

The warrant was returned to the Wake County Superior Court clerk’s office Monday afternoon.

Police said Tuesday that no charges have been filed in the case and their investigation is continuing.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service