Lufkin Road school evacuated while firefighters check for gas leak

From staff reportsJuly 17, 2013 

— Firefighters and school officials evacuated Lufkin Road Middle School on Wednesday morning after staff members smelled what they believed was natural gas in the building.

Principal Karen Sinders called 911 as a precaution as called for in school policy, Wake County Public School System spokeswoman Samiha Khanna said, and students in the year-round school were evacuated.

Firefighters determined that indoor areas away from the main part of the school were safe, and students were brought in to get them out of the sun, Khanna said.

Firefighters verified that the school was safe and that no students had any health complaints and let them return to classes about 11 a.m.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service