Durham police reopen 2009 shooting as homicide case

From staff reportsJuly 22, 2013 

— Police have opened a homicide investigation in the death of a man who was shot in 2009 and died 18 months later, in October 2010.

Monday asked for information on a 2009 shooting after learning that the victim died in 2010, after they had closed their case as an assault investigation in which they could not make any arrests.

Jose Luis Gonzalez was in the parking lot of the Charlestown Apartments in the 2800 block of Ross Road when he was shot on the night of April 27, 2009, police spokeswoman Kammie Michael said.

Gonzalez, 49, was not identified at the time, but police said the victim of the shooting had been taken to Duke University Hospital and was in critical condition.

Gonzalez recovered and was released, so police treated the case as an assault. Detectives could not find enough evidence to charge anyone with shooting Gonzalez, Michael said.

After Gonzalez died, a medical examiner’s autopsy blamed the 2009 wounds. The conclusion was reported to the Durham County District Attorney’s Office, but it took until recently for information about his death to get to police, Michael said.

Michael said detectives want anyone with information about the Gonzalez case to call investigators at 919-560-4440, ext. 29322, or CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200.

CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases, and callers never have to identify themselves.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service