Rainy weather in many parts of the country has invited unwanted guests mosquitoes.
Before you can swat them, they drink like miniature vampires, leaving swollen bites that itch like the dickens.
There are more than 3,000 different species of mosquitoes worldwide, with 176 types thriving in the United States, according to the American Mosquito Control Association, mosquito.org.
A mosquitos main food is nectar or a similar sugar source, so they can be classified as pollinators but theyre not the good kind for people, because they leave bites that swell, redden and itch.
Mosquito control experts say the best way to keep mosquito populations down is to restrict their breeding sites, which are pools of standing water.
In warm weather, mosquitoes can develop from eggs to adults in a little more than a week in just a few ounces of standing water, said mosquito control expert Jonathan Cohen with Summit Industries.
The company makes Mosquito Dunks, which contain Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis), a bacterium that naturally kills mosquito larvae but is harmless to other living things.
Its important to empty out birdbaths, pot saucers, kids swimming pools and unclog rain gutters to reduce the areas where mosquitoes can lay eggs.
To reduce mosquito populations, experts recommend:
• Drain water from garbage cans, house gutters, buckets, pool covers, coolers, flower pots or any other containers where water has collected.
• Remove and discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances and other items left outdoors that can collect water.
• Empty and clean birdbaths and pet water bowls at least once or twice a week.
• Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that wont hold water not even spoonfuls.
• Maintain swimming pools in good condition with appropriate chlorination. Empty the water from childrens swimming pools when not in use.
For added control, including ponds, bird baths, fountains, drain lines and ditches, treat water with Mosquito Dunks and Mosquito Bits that contain Bti.
The dunks will not harm wildlife, including birds, as well as pets and fish, according to Summit Industries.
One dunk treats up to 100 square feet of surface water for up to 30 days.
Youll find the dunks at garden centers, hardware stores and home centers nationwide.
Also, dont forget that clothing is an excellent barrier between you and a mosquito, says Cohen. Wear clothing that will protect more of your body, such as long-sleeved shirts and long pants, especially during the evening hours.
Learn more about Mosquito Dunks at summitresponsiblesolutions.com.