Carrboro escapes season-opener with win over Cedar Ridge

CorrespondentAugust 23, 2013 

— Carrboro dominated the Cedar Ridge Red Wolves 36-19 in its season opener Friday night, but coach Jason Tudryn said the win was a wake-up call for his team.

“We’re not a real good team right now, flat-out,” he said. “We turned the ball over too many times, too many penalties, too many mistakes. We’ve got to get a lot better, because the road’s going to get a lot more challenging.”

The Jaguars, who reached the state 2A finals in 2012, forced a three-and-out to start the game. Then running back Trai Sharp carried his team 44 yards on four carries to the end zone, putting the Jaguars on the board less than three minutes after the opening kickoff.

Cedar Ridge answered with a 59-yard drive of its own capped by a circus play from quarterback Peyton Pappas. Just as a Carrboro linebacker hit him, the sophomore unleashed a high pass into the end zone that somehow dropped into Chris McKoy’s hands. The extra-point kick missed right, but the score was tied at six apiece with 3:05 remaining in the opening quarter.

Sharp returned the ensuing kickoff 69 yards, setting up a 10-yard Greyson Magee touchdown run two minutes later that put Carrboro ahead 13-6.

The Red Wolves recovered a Carrboro fumble at the Jaguars’ 29 yard-line and retaliated with yet another Pappas-McKoy aerial connection, a 15-yard pass over the middle to the junior wide receiver. Carrboro held a 13-12 lead at halftime.

“We were up by one, and they were really upset about that,” Tudryn said. “They see the headlines, they read all the media, and they think they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread. But it’s not 2012 anymore.”

The Jaguars lost just once last season, and that was in the 2A state finals.

In the third quarter, though, Carrboro again looked like a team used to winning. Sharp unloaded a hat trick of touchdowns during the period, while the Jaguar defense was much more aggressive than in the first half. Cedar Ridge had only one drive for positive yardage during the final 30 minutes. Entering the final quarter, the score stood at 33-12.

Carrboro kicker Simon Schlehuber nailed a 25-yard field goal with seven minutes to play.

The Red Wolves then put together a 60-yard drive in the final quarter to put McKoy in the end zone for the third time.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service