Small fire reported at Hibernian construction site

From Staff ReportsSeptember 27, 2013 

— A small fire smoldered late Thursday night on the roof of the partially reconstructed Hibernian Restaurant & Pub on Glenwood Avenue, which was gutted by fire last December .

Raleigh firefighters said the fire did no apparent damage to the building, which was unoccupied at the time.

The accidental fire was caused by smoldering embers from workers welding on the roof earlier in the day, according to fire department investigator Lt. Grant Williams. The Raleigh Fire Department’s Ladder 4 was returning from another call when its crew noticed smoke from the roof and reported the fire at about 10:50 p.m.

The Glenwood Avenue Hibernian remains on track to reopen late in December, according to a company representative.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service