NYPD asks for help with hunt for missing boy

Published: October 12, 2013 Updated 4 hours ago

Missing Autistic Boy

This image provided by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children shows an undated photo of Avonte Oquendo who was last seen on a school surveillance video leaving the Center Boulevard School in Long Island City, Queens, around 12:30 p.m. Friday Oct. 4, 2013. The family of a 14-year-old autistic boy who cannot speak says he has been missing since Friday.

NATIONAL CENTER FOR MISSING & EXPLOITED CHILDREN — AP Photo

— New York City police are asking the public to come forward with any possible information on the whereabouts of a 14-year-old boy with autism missing since last week.

Avonte Oquendo (ah-VAHN'-tay oh-KEHN'-doh) wandered out of his school in Queens on Oct. 4 and has not been seen since.

Chief of Department Phil Banks said Saturday that if anyone thinks they see the boy, they should call the department's hotline at 800-577-TIPS. He says they will chase down every lead.

Hundreds of officers have been searching for the teen, who does not speak. His parents say he loves trains. Police have checked all 468 train stations, every tunnel, abandoned station and bathroom. Divers searched the East River near the school.

Chief Banks says police aren't giving up hope.

Order Reprint Back to Top

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service

Top Jobs

View All Top Jobs

Find a Home

Find a Car

Search New Cars
Ads by Yahoo!