Seahawks must regroup after loss to the Colts

Published: October 12, 2013 Updated 9 hours ago

— The Seahawks staggered away from the sun of Miami last November.

Seattle had just lost to the Dolphins on a last-second field goal to fall to 6-5. Pete Carroll's slogan of "Win Forever" had been reduced to just winning half the time, and only at home at that.

Seattle was 6-5. That was its last regular-season loss before last week's stumble in Indianapolis.

The Seahawks (4-1) will spend this weekend merely shifting the rudder as opposed to recharting course, the way they did last season. After losing last year, they won five consecutive games to close the season. This year's first chance to start a post-loss streak comes Sunday afternoon when the Tennessee Titans (3-2) come to CenturyLink Field for a 1:05 p.m. kickoff.

"I think our team is that much more competitive (than last year)," quarterback Russell Wilson said. "I believe that we know who our guys are and who our leaders are and what we need to do to be successful."

Uncharacteristic of last week were errors for the Seahawks' vaunted secondary. A 73-yard touchdown to Indianapolis wide receiver T.Y. Hilton was labeled a "bust" by the boys in the back.

"It's definitely something that we can grow from, something that we're going to us as motivation to keep us on our toes," cornerback Richard Sherman said. "You always need games like that to get you on your toes, to get you back on your P's and Q's and I think it's going to be a fun game this weekend."

Sherman said that last line with a smirk. The not-so-subtle underlying feeling is a grumpy Seahawks team will show up Sunday.

"We just move on," Sherman said. "We didn't play a very bad game. It's not like we gave up 500 yards passing. They gave us some plays, and we just have to correct the mistakes that we made.

"It's no different than after a win, you correct the mistakes and move on to the next game."

Containment of the Titans will fall more on the defensive line and linebackers than the secondary this week. That's because Chris Johnson will be in the backfield. He has such burst it appears he has dynamite for breakfast.

Johnson ran for 2,006 yard in 2009. He's been slowed this season, only averaging 3.1 yards per carry. Still, his potential for brisk damage looms.

Last week against Kansas City, Johnson wasn't even running a route when he ended up scoring.

Johnson threw a cut block, then got to his feet. When quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick saw no other options, he flipped the ball to Johnson. After scooting 49 yards from the middle of the field to the outside, Johnson stood in the end zone.

"He can bomb you from anywhere," Sherman said.

The Seahawks offense will get a boost from the return of center Max Unger. The Pro-Bowl center was inactive the last two games and the Seahawks offensive line suffered. He'll be back Sunday, a 305-pound reinforcement in the middle of the line.

He'll be in the middle of what the Seahawks hope is a new streak.

Order Reprint Back to Top

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service

Top Jobs

Find a Home

Find a Car

Search New Cars
Ads by Yahoo!