Egypt has Oct. 28 deadline for security plans

Published: October 12, 2013 Updated 7 hours ago

— The Ghana Football Association says FIFA has given Egypt a deadline of Oct. 28 to provide "comprehensive security assurances" for their World Cup playoff in Cairo next month.

The GFA says the world body also has indicated it would consider switching the venue for their Nov. 19 second leg if it's not satisfied with security arrangements.

The GFA says FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke has sent a letter to Egyptian authorities asking them to give written guarantees that Ghana's delegation and the match officials will be safe when they travel to Cairo, which has been shaken by new violence. The GFA last week asked FIFA to move the game because of fears over security.

The first leg is Tuesday in Ghana.

Order Reprint Back to Top

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service

Top Jobs

View All Top Jobs

Find a Home

Find a Car

Search New Cars
Ads by Yahoo!