30 dead, up to 160 missing after Mali boat sinking

Published: October 13, 2013 Updated 8 minutes ago

— Survivors of a boat that sank in central Mali say as many as 160 people are missing more than a day later.

The vessel traveling from Mopti to the fabled northern town of Timbuktu broke apart late Friday while passengers were sleeping onboard.

Yaya Tikambo, a representative of the boat company at the scene, said Sunday that 30 bodies had been retrieved from the Niger River.

However, survivors and a local official said it is believed that some 400 people were onboard.

Ibrahim Yattara, 29, whose pregnant wife is missing, said passengers woke up to a loud sound and the boat soon broke into two pieces.

Many of those traveling to Timbuktu were schoolchildren returning for class. Others were headed home for the upcoming Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.

Order Reprint Back to Top

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service

Top Jobs

View All Top Jobs

Find a Home

Find a Car

Search New Cars
Ads by Yahoo!