Wolfpack gives UNC the silent treatment

jgiglio@newsobserver.comOctober 28, 2013 

As far as N.C. State is concerned, North Carolina’s Eric Ebron can tweet or talk all he wants.

UNC’s star tight end will have to wait until Saturday’s game for a response from the Wolfpack, sophomore cornerback Juston Burris said.

“That’s how Carolina handles their business,” Burris said. “We’re not going to do that. We’re not going to go on Twitter, and we’re not going to talk. We’re just going to go out on Saturday and be ready to play.”

Ebron took to Twitter on Saturday after UNC’s 34-10 win over Boston College.

“All Of These Wolfpack Fans Are In For RUDE AWAKENING Come Saturday! #BeatState #BADLY,” Ebron wrote on his Twitter account.

First-year coach Dave Doeren made sure his players knew about Ebron’s comments.

“There are certain ways guys handle games, and some of them talk a lot,” Doeren said. “Obviously, that’s what he’s doing.

“It doesn’t win games. We have to go play well, and they have to play well. That’s just how it is in sports.”

N.C. State lost at UNC last year, 43-35, after a dramatic 74-yard punt return by Gio Bernard with 13 seconds left. The Wolfpack had won the previous five meetings in the series, including three straight in Raleigh.

Doeren made sure his players understand what’s still left to play for this season. With games left against UNC, Duke (Nov. 9) and East Carolina (Nov. 23), the Wolfpack can still stake a claim to the state championship.

There’s also the matter of getting to six wins, which would qualify for the Pack for a fourth straight bowl game.

“The guys were down about (the FSU loss), but they’re not out,” Doeren said. “They know we have a lot to play for with five games left, especially with who’s within those five games.”

N.C. State (3-4, 0-4 ACC) has to get to four wins before it can get to six, though. The Wolfpack has lost three straight since a win over Central Michigan on Sept. 28. It has lost its first four ACC games for the fourth time since joining the conference in 1953.

“It’s a five-game season now,” Burris said. “Every game is a chance for us to right the ship.”

N.C. State will have to make a late-season push without left tackle Rob Crisp, who was ruled out for the season on Monday. Crisp, the only five-star recruit signed by former coach Tom O’Brien, missed the previous five games with concussion-related issues.

Crisp, who’s originally from Burlington and played football in high school in Chapel Hill and Athens Drive in Raleigh, has a redshirt season available, but Doeren didn’t expand on the senior’s options on Monday.

“It’s just a tough deal,” Doeren said. “Like I’ve told him all along, we’re praying for him and we hope he gets better.”

Note: N.C. State’s game at Duke on Nov. 9 will kick off at 4 p.m. and be televised by ESPNU.

Giglio: 919-829-8938

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service