NCCU gunman died from gunshot wound to the chest

tmcdonald@newsobserver.comNovember 9, 2013 

— An autopsy report from the state medical examiner’s office indicates police at N.C. Central University fired at least two gunshots that struck a 22-year-old man who was armed with a shotgun when he got into an exchange of gunfire with the police in September.

The man, Tracy Daquan Bost of Rowan County, died of a gunshot wound to the chest, with a second wound to his thigh described as a contributing factor, according to the autopsy that was made public Friday by the state medical examiner’s office in Raleigh.

Bost, 22, had just finished serving more than 140 days in the Durham County jail when he was released from custody on Sept. 22 at 11 a.m.

Bost was struck by one bullet in the left side of his upper chest. The bullet penetrated his heart and punctured both lungs, according to the autopsy report.

Bost had a second wound to the thigh and a third on his left index finger. The attending physician who performed the autopsy determined the wound was a result of shrapnel and not a third gunshot.

Bost lived in Salisbury. Minutes after he was released from custody, he called the mother of his 4-year-old son and asked her to drive to Durham and give him a ride home.

His son’s mother, Hailey Rowell of Salisbury, told Bost she did not have gas money and did not get paid until the next day. She did not hear from Bost again.

NCCU police were alerted by Durham police on Sept. 23 about a break-in at an apartment on South Roxboro Street where someone took two pairs of shoes, $6 and a shotgun. The campus authorities were alerted a second time about an armed robbery of a person. The robbery occurred between downtown Durham and NCCU.

It was Monday, Sept. 23, about 10:15 p.m. when someone matching the description of the person responsible for both crimes got off a city bus at Cecil and Lawson streets on NCCU’s campus. NCCU police said three campus officers approached the man, who turned away, pulled a shotgun from the waistband of his trousers, chambered a round and fired at the officers. The officers returned fire, and Bost fled to a small patch of woods near the NCCU School of Education Building, police reported.

Police Chief Timothy Bellamy said police surrounded the area and fired again after Bost fired a second shot. The young man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The three NCCU officers were all placed on administrative duty pending an inquiry by the State Bureau of Investigation, which is standard procedure after an officer is involved in a shooting.

McDonald: 919-829-4533

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service