Jurors in Mangum murder trial to resume deliberations

CorrespondentNovember 21, 2013 

— The jury in the Crystal Mangum murder trial went home Thursday evening without reaching a verdict after deliberating throughout the afternoon.

Mangum is on trial in Durham Count Superior Court for the death of her boyfriend, Reginald Daye, 46.

The jury has the option of finding her guilty of first-degree murder, guilty of second-degree murder, guilty of voluntary manslaughter or not guilty.

At 4:45 p.m., the jurors sent out a note saying they would like to end their deliberations for the day and resume in the morning. Normally court runs until 5 p.m.

Mangum admitted during the eight-day trial that she stabbed Daye in the side of his chest with a steak knife at his apartment on April 3, 2011, but she claimed she did it in self-defense. Daye died at Duke Hospital from complications from the stab wound on April 13, 2011.

Mangum testified she “poked” Daye with a knife in the side of the chest in self-defense as he was straddling her on the floor trying to strangle her.

Daye told investigators that Mangum stabbed him during the argument after she “disrespected” him by bringing other men to his house.

Both said that sometime during their fight, Mangum went into the bathroom and locked the door and that Daye broke the door down and grabbed her by the hair. Mangum said he dragged her out of the bathroom by the hair and that she stabbed him shortly after that.

Daye told an investigator that Mangum stabbed him as he was standing in the hallway turning to leave and the bathroom incident occurred earlier in their fight.

Closing arguments

During closing arguments, Mangum’s attorney, Daniel Meier, told jurors they had to be absolutely sure of their verdict.

“It’s only guilty if beyond a reasonable doubt the state can show that Ms. Mangum was guilty and that her self-defense was not warranted,” Meier said.

If they have any doubt, they must find her not guilty, he said.

Assistant District Attorney Charlene Franks told the jurors the evidence did not back up Mangum’s story.

There was blood on the floor in the hallway, not in the master bedroom where Mangum said she stabbed Daye, Franks said.

“It did not happen the way the defendant said it happened. No, not at all,” Franks said.

During their deliberations, the jury sent out a note asking for the picture of the floor plan of the apartment that Franks used in her closing argument. They also asked for all the photographs of the crime scene, which showed knives scattered throughout the apartment and blood drops in various places.

Mangum is known as the woman who falsely accused three Duke lacrosse players of raping her in 2006. She told police the players hired her to perform as a stripper at their party and that they raped her in the bathroom. Evidence collected during the investigation did not match her story, and the charges against the players were dismissed, but not before the story became national news.


News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service