DURHAM — Police say they have arrested a 34-year-old man who has snatched money from opened cash registers at a handful of retail stores this week.
Investigators have charged Samuel Brown of Durham with one count of common-law robbery, three counts of larceny from person, and one count each of attempted larceny from person, breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering, and injury to property, said Kammie Michael, a police spokeswoman.
Witnesses have told police that a man has entered several businesses and asked to purchase either gum or a cigar. When the cashier opens the register, the man grabs cash from the register, then flees in a vehicle parked at the side of the store, Michael reported.
Police think Brown is responsible for:
• Nov. 17 – theft of cash from Cruizers, 1914 Sedwick Road. (Brown is charged with common-law robbery in this case.)
• Nov. 17 – theft of cash from BP convenience store, 4525 Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard.
• Nov. 18 – breaking into the Gas House, 1102 East NC 54 and taking cigarettes.
• Nov. 18 – theft of cash from Dollar Tree, 4215 University Drive.
• Nov. 18 – attempted theft of cash from Family Fare, 4161 Old Chapel Hill Road.
• Nov. 19 – theft of cash from Kangaroo Express, 4830 Hope Valley Road.
Investigators put out a bulletin Thursday morning asking for the public’s help finding Brown. He was arrested on North Hyde Park Avenue on Thursday afternoon.