DURHAM — Although police earlier named a suspect in Thursday afternoon’s shooting at the N.C. Central University campus, campus police say the victim has been inconsistent in his account of the incident.
NCCU police chief Timothy Bellamy initially reported that Durham police were searching for a 21-year-old man who might have fired a weapon at another man near the edge of N.C. Central University’s campus.
Bellamy identified Crandall Ortais Ingram as the suspect they were seeking, but he backed off that announcement around 7 p.m., clarifying that “the suspect is unknown.”
He described Ingram as “a person of interest” whom “police seek to interview.”
“The victim’s story keeps changing,” Bellamy wrote in an email. “...that’s all I can say about that. Both (Durham Police Department) and NCCU police are still interviewing witnesses and the victim.”
Early Friday afternoon, campus police said that in addition to Ingram, “additional individuals are being sought for questioning regarding this case.” They also said the suspect or suspects in the case are thought to have fled in a champagne-colored 4-door Chevrolet Impala.
The man who may have been the target of the shooting ran into the Mary M. Townes Science Building immediately after shots were fired around 2:35 p.m., according to witnesses. The intended victim was not injured, Bellamy said.
The university used social-media to tell students and staff to “shelter in place” and stay clear of windows following reports of the shooting. The alert ended at 3:12 p.m., according to university staff.
Ingram last attended the school more than two years ago and had been banned from campus, Bellamy said. The man who fled the shooting was a current student, he said.