UNC seeks to respond from adversity, Belmont loss

acarter@newsobserver.comNovember 22, 2013 

  • More information

    No. 24 UNC vs. Richmond

    When: noon

    Where: Mohegan Sun Arena

    TV/Radio: ESPN3/101.5-WRAL

    Projected starting lineups

    Richmond (3-1)

    G Cedrick Lindsay 19 ppg, 3.5 rpg

    G Wayne Sparrow 4.3 ppg, 3 rpg

    F Derrick Williams 5 ppg, 4.3 rpg

    F Terry Allen 9.3 ppg, 8.8 rpg

    C Alonzo Nelson-Odada 7.5 ppg, 6.8 rpg

    North Carolina (2-1)

    G Nate Britt 2.7 ppg, 2 apg

    G Marcus Paige 18 ppg, 4.3 apg

    F J.P. Tokoto 9 ppg, 6.3 rpg

    F James Michael McAdoo 19.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg

    F Joel James 4 ppg, 4.3 rpg

    Player to watch

    James Michael McAdoo, North Carolina

    McAdoo is off to an uneven start to his junior season, but he played well in the opener against Oakland earlier this month and scored a team-high 27 points against Belmont last weekend. While McAdoo has looked more comfortable early on than he did for much of last season – he says he’s healthier – he still seems to be adapting to his role as a go-to player. For UNC to reach its potential without P.J. Hairston and Leslie McDonald, McAdoo has to at his best, or close to it, game in and game out.

    Observations: UNC coach Roy Williams expects Richmond to play a lot of match-up zone, with a mix of a sagging man-to-man defense. That should allow Marcus Paige, the team’s only real perimeter shooting threat, some 3-point looks. … The Spiders are a deliberate offensive team, and while they don’t intentionally run down the shot clock they do exercise patience that requires defensive discipline. … UNC stuck to its same free throw routine in practice following the abysmal free throw performance against Belmont. … Williams acknowledged that there’s some confidence that needs to rebuilt within J.P. Tokoto, who went 4-for-16 from the line against Belmont.

    -Andrew Carter

— North Carolina has dealt with uncertainty and challenges for a while now, ever since P.J. Hairston and Leslie McDonald placed their eligibility in jeopardy with decisions that have already cost them three games and will cost them more.

Now, though, the Tar Heels are dealing with a different kind of struggle, the kind that comes with a surprising defeat against an opponent no UNC player ever expected to lose against. The Tar Heels might have anticipated difficult times without Hairston and McDonald, both of whom are sitting out amid NCAA eligibility concerns.

Still, UNC never expected to lose to Belmont, which last weekend left Chapel Hill with an 83-80 victory.

“I didn’t expect to lose, if that’s what you’re asking,” Marcus Paige, the sophomore guard, said after that game when presented with a question about whether UNC should have expected some struggles without Hairston and McDonald. “We had no intentions of losing this game.

“And we thought, even despite whatever lineup problems we have, we should have won. But I guess that’s what happens.”

The Tar Heels now have an early opportunity for atonement. They traveled on Thursday to Uncasville, Conn. – neither Hairston nor McDonald made the trip – to play in the Naismith Hall of Fame Tip-Off. When the organizers made the bracket for this event, they undoubtedly envisioned a UNC-Louisville game on Sunday.

To get there, though, the Tar Heels would need to first defeat Richmond on Saturday. The same Richmond team that beat Belmont earlier this season.

“It should get our guys’ attention,” UNC coach Roy Williams said earlier this week, “that the team that beat us lost to the guys we’re getting ready to play next.”

Williams should have had little trouble commanding attention in practice after the defeat against Belmont. The Tar Heels were dreadful from the free-throw line in that game – they made just 22 of their 48 attempts – and from start to finish their poor defense helped Belmont thrive from the perimeter.

The Bruins, who trailed by eight points with about 2 ½ minutes to play, took advantage of that porous defense late. They took the lead for good with a 3-pointer that UNC didn’t defend well with 14 seconds to play, and then Belmont finished the game in somewhat fitting fashion – with an uncontested layup just the before the final buzzer.

Offensively, Williams said he was “pleased” with the shots the Tar Heels generated against Belmont. But defensively?

“I was not pleased at all,” Williams said. “And then when I looked at the tape, it was even worse. There was a strangeness to it, because I thought we did make some great strides and were much better offensively against Belmont. But defensively, we were not there.”

Without Hairston, a junior who led the team in scoring last season, and McDonald, UNC’s only scholarship senior, Williams is limited. His options are confined.

The Tar Heels are starting at least two players – Nate Britt, a freshman point guard, and J.P. Tokoto, a sophomore forward – who would be coming off the bench if not for the absence of Hairston and McDonald. Williams could use a bigger lineup – one with James Michael McAdoo, Brice Johnson and Joel James all starting in the frontcourt – but, barring that, there’s not much room for experimentation.

“What you see is what we’ve got,” Williams said on Thursday, with a sense of resignation.

He noted that even in the team’s practices on Friday in Connecticut, the Tar Heels would be limited. Ordinarily, Hairston and McDonald would have been counted on to help run the opposing team’s plays on the scout team. But they didn’t make the trip.

“So it even limits us there (in practice),” Williams said.

The Tar Heels are only three games into the season and already need something good to happen. A defeat on Saturday would send UNC to the consolation bracket, likely against Fairfield. This trip, UNC’s first of the season, was supposed to end with a meeting against Louisville, the defending national champion.

That possibility has almost become an afterthought. Williams is first seeking a positive response from the defeat against Belmont.

“I want to see how we handle some adversity,” he said. “I want to see how we bounce back."

Carter: 919-829-8944; Twitter: @_andrewcarter

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service