Sure, you can fight the crowds at the mall and big box stores this weekend, or you can score great deals on gifts made in your own backyard while supporting local businesses with these homegrown holiday shopping events and promotions:
• More than 75 local designers and artists will bring clothing, jewelry, gift items and more will fill the Durham Armory for the Rock and Shop Market from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday. Shoppers can peruse creations from Lumina Clothing, Zass Designs and more, listen to music from local acts Old Quarter, Prypyat and others, and nosh on food from food trucks such as Chirba Chirba and Pie Pushers. Admission is $5. For a full list of vendors, visit rockandshopmarket.com.
• Peachy Keen boutiques Naughty or Nice Wishlist Party, from noon-5 p.m. on Sunday, features wine from Triangle Wine Company and chocolate from Videri, plus pick-your-own discount offers worth up to 50 percent off and giveaways. The Cary boutiques sister store, Joint Venture Jewelry, also will participate in the festivities with prizes and a $50 new customer discount. For details, visit thepeachykeen.com and jointventurejewelry.com.
• Shop clothing, accessories and more from local designers such as Symbology, Frill and Clique Publique while supporting a good cause at Holiday Cheer and Local Gear, from 5:30-8 p.m. on Tuesday at HQ Raleigh. Local food and beer from Trophy Brewing will be served, and five percent of sales will benefit the YMCAs We Build People campaign, which supports programs for at-risk youth. For more info, visit hqraleigh.com/events-cal.
• The Downtown Raleigh Alliance now offers Shop Downtown Gift Cards, good for purchases at a variety of downtown merchants, galleries and restaurants, such as High Cotton, Moon and Lola, Artspace, The Pit and more. Gift cards are available in denominations from $10 to $500, and are available at the Downtown Raleigh Alliance office at 120 S. Wilmington St., Ste. 103, or online at shopdowntownraleigh.com.
• Catalog shopping goes local with the Redress Raleigh fall/winter catalog. The guide features clothing and accessories for men, women and children made by local, sustainable designers. View the catalog online at redressraleigh.com.
Cameron Village offers Black Friday shopping incentives during the Restore the Sanity event, starting at 10 a.m. on Friday. During the promotion, spend $150-$250 collectively at participating merchants and receive a $25 Cameron Village gift certificate, or a $50 certificate with purchases of more than $250. To receive gift certificates, bring qualifying receipts to the Meet-Up space on Daniels Street next to Cantina 18. For details, visit shopcameronvillage.com.
Scarffish in store
Chapel Hill-made Scarffish scarves, which feature a signature starfish logo in a variety of colors, are now available at A Southern Season. A Southern Season is at 201 S. Estes Dr., Chapel Hill. For more information about Scarffish, visit scarffish.com.
Apex designer resale boutique My Girlfriends Closet recently expanded, adding 500 square feet of space for shoes and handbags. My Girlfriends Closet is at 219 N. Salem St., Ste. 103, Apex, 919-303-0651, mygirlfriendsclosetnc.com.