Konerko inks deal to stay on the South Side

The Sports NetworkDecember 4, 2013 

Chicago, IL (SportsNetwork.com) - Paul Konerko will remain on the South Side for at least one more season after agreeing to a one-year $2.5 million deal with the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday.

Under terms of his previous contract, signed in December 2010, the six-time All Star is set to receive $1 million annually from 2014-20.

"Paul Konerko has been an extremely important member of our lineup and presence in our clubhouse since his arrival in Chicago," White Sox senior vice president and general manager Rick Hahn said. "Paul needed time this fall to step away, think about his situation, and reach his own conclusions. We are very pleased that he has decided to come back for another season."

The 37-year-old Konerko, who has spent 15 of his 17 MLB seasons with the White Sox, hit .244 with 12 homers and 54 RBI in 126 games last year.

"I'm looking forward to coming back in a new role where I can help both the organization and my teammates get turned around in the right direction and also do some productive things on the field," Konerko said.

Konerko's 434 career home runs rank fifth among active players. He ranks second in White Sox history in home runs (427), RBI (1,361), total bases (3,944) and games played (2,187). He needs five total bases and 21 homers to tie the franchise records held by Frank Thomas.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service