Teen in critical condition days after double shooting in Durham

From staff reportsDecember 5, 2013 

— Two teenagers remain hospitalized two days after a shooting at a vacant house east of downtown Durham. The boys, aged 14 and 16, are brothers, according to a police spokeswoman.

One of the shooting victims is in critical condition, while the other is in stable condition. Police have not disclosed their names or where they’re being treated.

No arrests have been made in the investigation.

Officers responded to a call at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday and found the young men at a vacant house on Grace Lane, said police spokeswoman Kammie Michael. A neighbor said that one of the boys ran from a home and banged on the side of a county disability transit vehicle, begging for help.

Minnie McNeil, a Grace Street resident, said she was approaching the block on a county disability transit vehicle when a boy came running from a home and pounded on the vehicle’s door. McNeil could not hear his conversation with the driver, but the driver told her that the boy had been shot, she said.

Felicia Harper, who lives nearby on Grace Lane, said she had seen about eight boys congregating near the house on Saturday night and a couple of boys on Monday night. The house has been empty for about a year, along with several others in the 11-house neighborhood, she said.

Since Tuesday, police have conducted three canvasses of the neighborhood, searching for more information.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service