Breaking down six key plays in ECU’s 37-20 over Ohio in the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl.
ECU pick leads to six
• Score: ECU 0, Ohio 0, early first quarter
• Situation: Ohio ball, 3rd-and-2 at its 44.
• The play: Ohio quarterback Tyler Tettleton threw a 10-yard pass on a crossing route. ECU's Michael Dobson dived and came up with the interception at ECU's 45.
• Why it mattered: Ohio, on its opening drive, had moved from its 25 on just four plays. Five plays later after Dobson's pick, ECU led 7-0. The biggest play during the Pirates' quick drive was Vintavious Cooper's 34-yard run. Shane Carden capped the drive with a 5-yard fade route to Cam Worthy.
Bobcats strike back with record TD toss
• Score: ECU 14, Ohio 7, 10:05 left in second quarter.
• Situation: Ohio ball, 1st-and-10 from its 20.
• The play: Backup quarterback Derrius Vick entered the game and immediately hit receiver Donte Foster, who used Vick’s play-action fake to slip behind ECU's secondary for an 80-yard catch and run to tie the score.
• Why it mattered: ECU dominated the first quarter, but Ohio erased the Pirates' 14-0 lead with two quick scoring drives. Foster's catch-and-run was the longest touchdown reception in Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl history.
Ohio WR better catcher than passer
• Score: ECU 17, Ohio 14, 10 minutes left in third quarter.
• Situation: Ohio ball, 3rd-and-13 at its 24.
• The play: Tettleton hit receiver Landon Smith over the middle for at 14-yard gain and first down.
• Why it mattered: Ohio opened the drive with a trick play. Smith caught a lateral and threw deep into double coverage. Smith missed his target by 5 yards. Smith regrouped, making a nice catch on a ball thrown behind him to extend the drive. Ohio later converted a 4th-and-1 at ECU’s 28 when Tettleton hit Foster near the sideline and eventually tied the score at 17 on Josiah Yazdini’s 29-yard field goal.
• Score: ECU 17, Ohio 17, late in third quarter.
• Situation: ECU attempting 29-yard field goal.
• The play: Warren Harvey missed the field wide right.
• Why it mattered: ECU had scored just three points after dominating the first quarter. Carden seemed to get the Pirates untracked with a 37-yard go route to Worthy, but the Pirates again stalled deep in Ohio territory. After Harvey missed, Ohio took over at its 20 and drove for the go-ahead field goal. Tettleton set the tone, opening the drive with a 39-yard strike to Foster.
• Score: Ohio 20, ECU 17, 13:30 left in fourth quarter.
• Situation: Ohio kicking off.
• The play: Ohio surprised ECU with a perfectly executed onside kick that floated high enough near the right sideline for Bobcats gunner Devin Bass to run underneath it and catch it.
• Why it mattered: It took away ECU’s chance to answer immediately after falling behind for the first time. Ohio didn’t capitalize, however. The Bobcats drove to ECU’s 29, but Yazdini missed a 45-yard field goal.
Cooper capitalizes on Ohio’s miss
• Score: Ohio 20, ECU 17 9:50 left in fourth quarter.
• Situation: ECU ball, 1st-and-10 at Ohio’s 31.
• The play: Inside handoff to Cooper, who slipped through the line and raced into the end zone to give ECU a 24-20 lead.
• Why it mattered: ECU started the drive at its 29. Two Ohio penalties helped push the ball to the Bobcats’ 31. Cooper did the rest, capping ECU’s longest drive of the second half and providing its first touchdown since the first quarter. ECU put the game away on its next drive, scoring on its own trick play when Carden threw a lateral to Worthy, who threw back to Carden, who outjumped two Ohio defenders for a 14-yard touchdown catch and 31-20 lead. ECU scored two touchdowns in 3 1/2 minutes.
- Chris Wright