Apex police add charges against man accused in Cary and Raleigh pizza-shop break-ins

From staff reportsJanuary 9, 2014 

— Police charge that a man whom Raleigh and Cary police charged last year with a series of pizza-shop burglaries is the person they believe tried to break into three pizzerias and got into a fourth in their town.

Warrants containing the allegations were served Wednesday on Michael John Spero, 28, of 306 Holtz Lane in Cary and brought his total bail to $130,000 while he is being held in the Wake County Detention Center.

The warrants accused Spero of trying to break into Anna’s Pizza on North Salem Street, Pizza Dude on Williams Street and a Jersey Mike’s sub shop on Williams Street on Nov. 4.

They also charged that he succeeded in getting into the Momma Mia’s pizza shop on Laura Duncan Road on Oct. 30.

Cary and Raleigh police filed charges against Spero in early November after Raleigh police stopped him early in the morning of Nov. 4, just after a Cary detective investigating the break-ins had followed a car in which Spero was a passenger and Rachael Megan LaRocca, 28, of Cary was the driver to Teddy’s New Yorker pizza shop in Raleigh.

The detective said he heard the sounds of a break-in while he remained out of Spero’s and LaRocca’s sight, and Raleigh police said there were burglar’s tools in the car when they stopped it nearby.

LaRocca remains in custody on $10,000 bail, according to Wake County Sheriff’s Office records, and court records show her next appearance has not been scheduled.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service