DURHAM — Father Bill McIntyre, a friar at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, said Saturday that the church and organizers of Sunday’s prayer vigil for Jesus Huerta have nothing to do with a “Justice for Chuy” march scheduled before the vigil.
“(Recently) we became aware of another march to or from the vigil,” McIntyre wrote in a statement. “The parish, organizers and the Huerta family are not participating in this other event. No organizers asked for nor received permission to use church property to gather.”
The prayer vigil to mourn Huerta’s death and honor his life begins at 6:45 p.m. at the church, 810 W. Chapel Hill St. Its announcement last week stated that the vigil would not include a march.
Sunday’s Justice for Chuy march was announced later in the week. Organizers announced the church parking lot as their gathering point, but McIntyre said he had asked them to go elsewhere.
“I spoke with one of the alleged organizers … Rafael Estrada, and he told me they will not gather in our parking lot,” McIntyre said.
Two previous Huerta memorial marches have turned violent. An announcement for the Sunday march advised participants: “Bring your anger, your solidarity, your fierceness and your passion.”
Huerta, 17, died of a gunshot while handcuffed in a Durham police car Nov. 19. Police have said the shot was self-inflicted.