Durham police say they spent $17,000, lost $5,000 at Huerta march

From staff reportsJanuary 24, 2014 

— The Durham Police Department says it spent $17,000 on overtime and suffered $5,000 of property damage during a protest march on Sunday related to the death of Jesús Huerta.

Police say some marchers beat drums and blocked downtown streets, and some donned masks and threw rocks at windows and patrol cars near a police “substation.” Police estimated 120 protesters were involved in the march, which came on the same night as a separate vigil at a church meant to honor Huerta, who was 17.

Durham Police and the State Bureau of Investigation have concluded that Huerta shot himself Nov. 19 in the backseat of a police car in the parking lot of police headquarters.

The Riverside High School student had been arrested on an outstanding trespassing charge when his family called emergency services for help finding him. A caller to 911 said family members were worried because Huerta had once tried to commit suicide.

Police arrested six people, ages 13 to 20, on Sunday related to the march. They were all charged with resisting a public officer and unlawful entry and assembly in a city-owned parking structure, according to department spokeswoman Kammie Michael.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service