St. Augustine's rallies to beat Shaw, 51-49

CorrespondentJanuary 25, 2014 

— St. Augustine’s trailed during the entire game and at one point had more free throws than field goals, but the Falcons got the one it needed for a 51-49 comeback win over archrival Shaw on Saturday.

With the seconds ticking down, forward Tashuan Stockdale grabbed a short Amere May jumper in mid-air, turned and flipped the ball in the basket with 7.7 seconds left. It was the Falcons’ first lead of the game.

“I watched the flight of the ball of the basket and when I saw it was short, I boxed out my man, went up, caught it and put it in,” said Stockdale, who finished with 12 points.

The Bears’ last-second shot attempt hit the backboard before falling away.

Besides the rivalry, the game was an important divisional matchup. Both teams had lost four straight games and were 0-2 and tied for last in the division.

“It was a fistfight between two good teams,” said St. Aug’s coach Tony Sheals, who is in his first season. “I’m proud to come out with a victory against my first one (rival game).”

The Falcons (11-7, 4-4 CIAA) shot just 25.5 percent in the game and was 0-for-10 from 3-point range. The Bears (6-13, 4-5) didn’t shoot much better at 32 percent, but Shaw used its rebounding advantage for second- and third-chance opportunities.

The Bears built a 38-30 lead with 10:42 left in the game, as the Falcons had more free throws than field goals.

St. Aug’s began to find its groove and ran off seven straight points to pull to within one. Shaw increased its lead to four on Joe Reid’s 3-point play.

The Bears held the four-point lead until Stockdale threw down a dunk with 2:45 left. Center Jonathan Crawley then was fouled and tied the game at 49 with two free throws with 1:34 left.

A traveling call on Shaw’s Aquil Younger gave St. Aug’s the ball with 41.8 seconds left.

“I told the guys we have been here before and to stay focused,” Sheals said. “If we get the last shot, we would win.”

Both teams were as cold as the frigid temperatures in the first half. Only two baskets were scored within the first six minutes.

The Falcons, who were 0-for-5 from 3-point range, didn’t make their first field goal until the 9:13 mark. Shaw built a 10-point lead with 6:20 left in the half before St. Aug’s made a run.

The Falcons outscored the Bears 12-5 to close within three at halftime.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service