Fire starts, ends in kitchen at Wake jail

From staff reportsMarch 6, 2014 

— No one was injured when rags caught fire in a kitchen at the Wake County Detention Center at about 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Someone used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames before the fire department arrived, according to Capt. Jimmy Stevens, spokesman for the Wake County Sheriff’s Office.

The building was closed to the public for more than an hour, but no inmates were removed from the building. The sheriff’s office reported no substantial damage to the building, which is on Hammond Road south of downtown Raleigh.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service