Wake County not presenting school schedules until April 22

Posted by T. Keung Hui on April 7, 2014 

Wake County families will have to wait two more weeks to find out what times schools will start and end this fall.

School administrators had previously said they would present the 2014-15 school bell schedules at Tuesday’s board meeting. But David Neter, Wake’s chief business officer, said the presentation will be delayed until the April 22 board meeting because staff from N.C. State’s Institute for Transportation Research and Education (ITRE) won’t be available Tuesday.

ITRE is involved in the bell schedules because the organization is helping the school district assess the impact that the reconstruction of the Beltline will have on traffic.

Dubbed Crawleigh by some and FORTIFY by the state Department of Transportation, the project is expected to cause headaches for motorists when work shifts at the end of the year to the busy eight-mile I-40 Beltline section across South Raleigh,

Under board policy, bell schedules are supposed to be set by April 1 prior to the beginning of each school year. But the board voted March 18 to waive the policy so that staff could spend more time reviewing the impact of the road project.

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service