Smithfield vigil remembers tortured child Teghan Skiba

ndunn@newsobserver.comApril 30, 2014 

— The attorneys, investigators and jurors who helped convict the man who killed 4-year-old Teghan Skiba burned candles Wednesday, in memory of the girl who had black hair and loved the color purple.

The vigil, which honored all victims and survivors of sexual violence, comes nearly four years after Jonathan Richardson tortured Teghan to death in a shed behind his grandparents’ Johnston County home. Richardson, now 25, was the boyfriend of Teghan’s mother, Helen Reyes, who left the girl in his care while she went to New Mexico for military training in July 2010.

For nearly 10 days, Richardson physically and sexually abused Teghan, eventually taking her battered body to the hospital on July 16, 2010, claiming she fell off a bed. But authorities didn’t believe his story and charged him with child abuse, then murder, kidnapping and sexual assault when Teghan died three days later.

A jury convicted Richardson on all charges March 25 and sentenced him to death on April 3. Several of the jurors stood in silence at the vigil outside the Johnston County court house, which drew about 25 people.

Johnston County District Attorney Susan Doyle said that ending acts of sexual violence starts with the community and speaking up when something is wrong. So many people associated with Teghan’s case, she said, are left asking, “What if?”

“It’s unfortunately too late for Teghan, but don’t wait until it’s too late for another victim,” Doyle said.

“Our goal is to not only bring justice for Teghan, but to bring justice for the next victim by preventing it from happening,” said Charlotte Fournier, a former crime scene investigator with the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office, who worked on Teghan’s case.

Harbor Inc., a Smithfield-based shelter for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence, hosted the vigil as part of a month-long Sexual Violence Awareness Month series. Since 1984, the nonprofit has used grant money and donations to provide assistance to women and children in need.

Wilma Hampton, Harbor’s sexual assault advocate, said the shelter provided assistance to 23 victims of sexual abuse during the first quarter of this year, including 16 victims ages 10 to 18.

“We see it day in and day out, and in Teghan’s case, it was with a 4-year-old child,” Hampton said.

Across the state, North Carolina rape crisis centers served more than 13,000 people from April 2011 to March 2012, including about 4,000 children, according to the latest data released by the N.C. Council for Women. In addition, crisis center staff answered 23,000 hotline calls during the same period, the council says.

Mother awaiting trial

Reyes, Teghan’s mother, is facing negligent child abuse charges for leaving her daughter with Richardson. She does not have a court date.

Teghan’s paternal grandparents, Sarah and Gerald Skiba of Youngsville, were not able to attend the vigil because of bad weather in their area. In a phone interview, Sarah Skiba said the family is looking for closure.

“We know the mother is going to have to go to court, too,” she said. “And again, whenever that happens, it will bring up everything all over again. That hurts a lot.”

Dunn: 919-553-7234 ext. 104

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service