Carolina Panther Greg Hardy’s assault case brings new twists May 16, 2014 

Greg Hardy was released Wednesday from Mecklenburg County jail.


— The domestic violence case against the Carolina Panthers’ Greg Hardy took several surprising twists Thursday, with the dismissal of the accuser’s request for a restraining order, a court order that the Pro Bowl defensive end turn over his weapons, and a link to the rapper Nelly.

In new documents filed in the case, Mecklenburg County District Court Judge Becky Thorne Tin ordered Hardy to surrender all of his firearms as an added condition of his bond.

Nicole Holder, 24, who alleges Hardy beat her up at his apartment early Tuesday, told authorities Hardy keeps a cache of 25 to 30 firearms at his two Charlotte residences. Holder says her arm was cut and her back bruised when Hardy slammed her into a futon covered with guns, according to court documents.

Christopher Fialko, Hardy’s attorney, said this week it was Holder who attacked Hardy.

When Holder failed to show up for a hearing Thursday to consider her protective order request, District Court Judge Charlotte Brown dismissed the case.

Holder, a waitress at a nightclub, has told authorities she and Hardy broke up in March, when she moved out of Hardy’s home, according to documents. Holder said she and Hardy were trying to reconcile, but that Holder’s “short-lived relationship” with Nelly during their breakup was a continuing source of friction.

Nelly, 39, is a Grammy-winning artist and a part owner of the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats. Attempts to reach him were unsuccessful.

Holder told police she and Hardy went out drinking with friends Monday night before returning to Hardy’s uptown residence, documents show.

Holder says she was lying in bed with Hardy when “he just snapped,” according to the warrant worksheet. Holder says Hardy threw her to the floor, tossed her into a tile bathtub and slammed her into a futon.

She also says Hardy twice choked her during the altercation, leaving welts on her collarbone. Holder says Hardy “threw her around several times” and “beat the (expletive) out of me.”

Holder told investigators she swung her heeled shoe at Hardy several times while defending herself, and began screaming loudly and cursing. Holder said Hardy then began videotaping her and agitating her, “trying to get her to flip out on him,” according to the documents.

Holder said the two continued fighting “back and forth” until another woman in Hardy’s apartment woke up and left with Holder.

In a 911 call Hardy made about 4:15 a.m. Tuesday, he told dispatchers Holder was attacking him with her shoe and repeatedly refused to leave his apartment.

After declining medical treatment at the scene, Holder later went to the emergency room, according to her former attorney.

It’s unclear how Holder feels about the criminal case. In addition to not showing up for Thursday’s hearing, she has parted ways with attorney Stephen Goodwin.

Asked if Holder is still cooperating with prosecutors, a spokeswoman for the district attorney’s office said professional ethics “prevent our office from discussing details of a pending case.”

Holder did not respond to a voicemail seeking comment.

The prosecution of domestic violence cases doesn’t rely solely on the victim’s participation. The district attorney’s spokeswoman said Thursday the charges are still pending. Hardy is scheduled to be back in court June 27.

Charlotte Observer staff writer Jim Utter contributed.

Person: 704-358-5132

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service