The crop top has made its way back into fashion this season, starting as a high end/celebrity trend and trickling down to the mainstream.
The current crop tops aren’t the belly-baring shirts you might see at the gym or beach. For that we are thankful. While some do inch up past the navel, they’re more modest than not, more refined than not, their hems ending just at the waistband of the skirt or trousers or shorts with which they’re paired.
A word of warning: These tops are not for everyone. Women who wear their jeans tight around their waist, creating a muffin top, will most likely not be flattered by this look.
Here is a sample of crop tops you can check out online and in stores.
• With its halter-style neckline, cut-away shoulders and racer-back styling, the crop top by Milly will show off your toned arms and torso. Linen blend.
• An updated preppy polo from Alex + Olivia can be dressed up or down. Wear the Miller Cropped Polo Shirt with jeans, shorts or a skirt. Darling.
• Short and wide-cut, the white blouse with black polka dots from H&M has a slightly sheer back and a front that isn’t. It’s also slightly longer in back than front, but not so long it looks like a mullet. Polyester.
The Short Blouse is $17.95. To find a store or shop online: hm.com.
• From Mossimo, a Jacquard Crop Top with mock turtleneck collar and geometric print is made from polyester and Spandex, which means it shouldn’t lose its shape.
$22.99 at target.com.
• The Lerlynn Stripe Shirt by Theory has a classic schoolgirl look. But you can funk it up with skinny jeans. Light striping, three-quarter sleeves, cotton linen blend.
$215 at nordstrom.com.