ABC board yanks alcohol permits for Club Bodi after deadly shooting

ccampbell@newsobserver.comJune 6, 2014 

Police investigate a car after a shooting the night before outside of Bodi nightclub on South West Street on Friday, August 16, 2013 in Raleigh, injuring two men.

AL DRAGO — adrago@newsobserver.com Buy Photo

— Following a deadly shooting earlier this week, the state’s Alcoholic Beverage Control board has suspended Club Bodi’s alcohol license, effectively shutting down the troubled downtown nightclub.

The one-page order, dated Thursday, cites the shooting outside the club early Sunday that left 26-year-old Vernon Oneal Jones Jr. dead.

The commission found that the club’s “disregard for safety and continuing violation of law … creates a hazardous environment for the public and law enforcement personnel,” according to the document.

The order shows that Club Bodi’s owners were warned twice within the past year that their liquor license was in jeopardy. The reasons for the earlier actions included tax and hours of operation violations, as well as violence.

Bodi has been plagued by criminal issues in recent years: shootings, assaults, drug violations and larcenies, according to police records.

The earlier warnings from the ABC commission were issued in January and May.

Could not be reached

The order gives Club Bodi 60 days to request a hearing on the case before an administrative law judge. The owner of Club Bodi, listed in state records as Peggy Rohm of Soze Entertainment LLC, could not be reached for comment Friday. Records show the company also owns Capital Cabaret, a strip club in Morrisville.

A person answering the phone at a promoter listed for a Friday night event at Club Bodi said he was unaware of the alcohol permit suspension.

Raleigh City Councilwoman Mary-Ann Baldwin called on city attorneys Tuesday to investigate any violations at the club.

City Attorney Tom McCormick said Friday that he’s still compiling police records. Raleigh can provide data to the ABC commission, but it can also take separate legal action, he said.

Campbell: 919-829-4802; Twitter: @RaleighReporter

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service