Briefly

June 25, 2014 

Man charged after hit-and-run crash

A Roxboro man faces charges of felony hit-and-run, possession of a stolen car and driving with a license that had been revoked after police say he was involved in a two-car crash on Glenwood Avenue on Tuesday.

Police arrested Zachary Mitchell Stott, 38, of 113 S. Charles St. in Roxboro, on T.W. Alexander Drive, near ACC Boulevard.

The accident happened, police said, when a 1996 Toyota Camry that had been reported stolen from a Hillsborough woman hit the back of a stopped car driven by a woman from Fuquay-Varina.

The accident happened shortly before 4:30 p.m. Records show Stott was arrested about an hour later. Police say the Camry that Stott was driving took off after the crash.

The driver of the other car had minor injuries. From staff reports

Cary police seek help finding bank robber

Police are asking the public’s help to find a masked man who jumped a counter at the First Citizens Bank branch on Kildaire Farm Road on Tuesday.

The man escaped from the bank with an undisclosed amount of money. He was thought to have left the area in a green Chevrolet Z-71 pickup truck.

A statement from police did not say whether the man was armed.

Police said the man was white, about 6 feet tall and wore a hooded gray sweatshirt with arm stripes, gloves, a bandana over his face and sunglasses.

The robbery happened shortly after 4:30 p.m. at the bank at 1825 Kildaire Farm Road.

About 10 minutes earlier, workers at a First Fidelity Bank branch on southwest Cary Parkway reported seeing a man who fit the description. They locked the bank doors to keep the man out.

Police asked anyone who may have information related to the crime to call them at 919-469-4012 or Cary Crime Stoppers at 919-460-4636.

The N.C. Bankers Association has a reward program for information leading to the arrest and indictment of anyone involved in a bank robbery. People with information about a robbery can contact the FBI, confidentially, at 1-800-209-2293 or submit a tip through an FBI website. From staff reports

Kindergarten eventfor year-round pupils

Families of Wake County year-round students are invited to attend a free Kick-off to Kindergarten event Thursday at Marbles Kids Museum.

The soon-to-be kindergarten students will learn things such as how to ride the school bus, to make healthy food choices in a pretend cafeteria and to participate in circle time. Their parents can ask questions of experts in nutrition, education, healthy living and more.

The event, organized by the Wake County school system, Marbles and several local groups, will run from 5 to 8 p.m. at 201 E. Hargett St., Raleigh.

A kickoff event for new kindergarten students at traditional-calendar schools will be held Aug. 16 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., also at Marbles. From staff reports

Man indicted in Ohio charter school case

A Durham man has been indicted by a federal grand jury in Ohio in a public corruption conspiracy involving a charter school in Dayton, Ohio.

Carl L. Robinson, 47, of Durham, was indicted along with three others on charges of conspiracy and aiding and abetting federal programs bribery. Robinson operated a business called Global Educational Consultants, the indictment said.

The federal indictment describes a scheme in which three managers of a charter school called Arise! Academy accepted bribes and kickbacks in exchange for awarding a lucrative, no-bid consulting contract to Robinson’s company.

The consulting business is registered in Ohio, but it did not show up in a search of records of the N.C. Secretary of State’s office.

A spokeswoman for the state Department of Public Instruction said there was no evidence the agency had dealt with Robinson in relation to charter schools in North Carolina.

The indictment said the federally funded Arise paid Global $420,919 over 12 months starting in October 2008, at a time when Arise had difficulty making payments to other vendors and staff.

The school officials received cash, and one also received a trip to Las Vegas, the indictment said. From staff reports

Officials probe prison where inmate died

Federal and state authorities are looking into an Anson County prison where an inmate was killed during a riot almost two years ago.

Among the agencies involved in the investigation are the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the State Bureau of Investigation and the N.C. Highway Patrol.

Spokeswoman Pamela Walker of the state Division of Public Safety said there is no specific focus to the investigation. She said the investigation is designed to determine what is going on at the prison and what preemptive measures are needed.

The Department of Public Safety said 35-year-old inmate Wesley Turner died after a fight broke out at the high-security prison in Polkton in September 2012. Associated Press

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service