Shaffer: Hanging death in Fred Fletcher Park still haunts

jshaffer@newsobserver.comJuly 6, 2014 

Thomas Shantez Austin mug


— On a Sunday morning last August, a woman out walking her dog noticed a pair of boots on the basketball court at Fred Fletcher Park. Near them, she saw the horror of a young man hanging from a tree by his belt.

He dangled only about a foot off the ground. His shirt and shoes lay strewn in some bushes, and his pants were at his ankles.

His name was Thomas Shantez Austin, 26, and from all appearances, he’d killed himself miles from home in a neighborhood where he knew nobody in a skinny tree where the branches point upward.

All authorities, from Raleigh police to the state medical examiner, called it suicide.

For a year, his father wrestled with the twin demons of grief and uncertainty, unable to know for sure what got his boy dead in a Glenwood Avenue park.

Worse, he consistently felt like his son got short shrift, and that nobody was willing to dig deep into the case of a kid who’d been mixed up with drugs and gangs, only recently out of prison.

And after 11 months, Thomas’ father finally received a copy of his son’s autopsy and toxicology reports. It added few details, got a few more wrong and left him feeling even more defeated. “They didn’t care about my son, period,” said the father, also named Thomas Austin. “They saw he was in prison, thought he was a nobody and that was it.”

Austin knows his son wasn’t any angel. He was by many accounts a kindhearted young man, especially fond of animals.

‘He was not homeless’

But he’d been charged with breaking and entering a week past his 18th birthday. He went to prison for armed robbery at 19, serving five years. He had cocaine in his system on the night he died, according to his test results.

He’d gotten out of prison and found a job at a sports bar, splitting time between different family members’ houses. Still, the medical examiner’s report described him as homeless. “He had people that loved him,” his father said. “He was not homeless and scraggly, out in the street.”

He’d had some mental health problems, twice entering Holly Hill Hospital, once for taking a handful of pills and once for irrational behavior. But neither of these resulted in long stays, and his father insists his son never showed suicidal tendencies. The pills were a careless attempt at getting high while drinking, he said.

The medical examiner’s report makes much of Austin’s mental health, playing up instances that his father called minor. In the most ridiculous example, by his father’s gauge, the report states Austin allowed himself to be bitten by a snake. If anyone had asked, Austin’s dad could have told them his son had picked up a small snake to impress a girl, not knowing that it was a copperhead.

Attacked hours before death

But the detail that gnaws at Austin’s father most came in the last few hours of his son’s life.

At 2:30 in the morning, Austin called his father on a borrowed cellphone to say he’d been beaten up, robbed and chased from the McDonald’s on Western Boulevard.

I asked Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue, who told me that officers responded to the McDonald’s incident that night and found Austin, who showed no apparent injury and declined medical attention.

I also talked to Tonisha Rowe, a close friend of Austin’s who was working at McDonald’s that night. She saw the surveillance tape and described a different scene:

“It was two dudes, one kind of big and one kind of little. It showed them beating him up. On the video, you could see him running, and the two dudes split in different directions when they saw the police coming. He was being beat up. It was like they were trying to rob him, hitting him and kicking.”

Austin’s father says the police won’t let him view the tape. I asked to see it and wasn’t allowed, either. Sughrue explained that it’s considered part of an investigative file not subject to public records requests.

The medical examiner’s report showed only a contusion on his tongue. So if he had been badly beaten up, the doctors who looked at his body didn’t find any signs.

“We are all sympathetic to the family,” Sughrue said. “The detectives really did do a lot of work in this case, and there simply was nothing that pointed to anything but suicide in the end.”

Still, to Austin’s father, why would his son run away from attackers, call him in the middle of the night, walk 3 miles into an unfamiliar neighborhood and hang himself on a skinny tree with its branches close together, first removing most of his clothing?

I don’t have any idea what happened between 2:30 and dawn that morning. But I know that this young man’s death has bothered me for a year, and I’m not alone. The circumstances don’t sit right with neighbors in Fred Fletcher park, either. No matter what scenario you imagine, it seems far-fetched.

In short, I think we’ve got loose ends out there, and somebody ought to tug on them a little harder – even me, though I don’t know exactly where else to pull. You’d want us to do it were he your son. or 919-829-4818

News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service