This story incorrectly reported UNC reached out to former basketball player Rashad McCants on Sunday. The university reached out to McCants in a letter on June 6.
UNC reached out to former player Rashad McCants on June 6, asking him to meet to talk about his recent statements on ESPN and Sirius radio accusing the university of academic misconduct.
A letter, dated June 6, signed by senior associate athletic director Vincent Ille, asked McCants to contact the school to discuss his critical comments about the basketball team.
I learned today of public statements you have made that indicate your knowledge of potential NCAA rule violations involving the University of North Carolina, the letter says. I would like to meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss this in greater detail.
Reached Sunday night, Ille confirmed that a registered letter was sent to McCants residence along with two text messages. Ille said he had not received a reply as of Sunday night.
McCants, a key player on UNCs 2005 national title basketball team, made national news when he told ESPNs Outside the Lines in an interview that aired last month that tutors wrote his papers and that he relied on no-show African and Afro-American Studies classes to remain eligible during his time at UNC. In danger of becoming academically ineligible, he said took all AFAM classes in the spring of 2005 and did so well he made the deans list.
Copies of McCants transcript, which Outside the Lines obtained, verify his course load.
McCants told ESPN that UNC coach Roy Williams knew about the no-show classes, and that Williams in the fall of 2004 warned him that he could become academically ineligible. Williams denied McCants claims and said he had no knowledge of tutors writing papers for his players.
McCants said on Friday in an interview on Sirius Radio that he has not talked to the NCAA about his allegations of academic misconduct.
The NCAA reopened its investigation into UNCs athletic program last week.