RALEIGH — A fire that investigators said began in a recycling bin and spread up the outside of a condominium building on Baton Street in Raleigh made two of the four units uninhabitable, firefighters said.
The Monday afternoon fire began outside an end unit of the building, 3409 Baton Road, off Samuel Street in east Raleigh, the fire department said.
Investigators said they had not determined how the fire in the bin started.
Flames climbed up vinyl siding on the brick-fronted building and worked into the attic, firefighters said.
A report of the fire call said the first firefighters on the scene found heavy smoke and fire at the back of the two-story building and flames coming from the roof.
Five people were displaced by the fire, officials said.