Jazz fans have known Antonio Sanchez for years as the superb drummer in Pat Metheny’s all-star Unity Group and as a brilliant composer and bandleader. In 2014, he composed the thrilling score to Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s Oscar-winning film “Birdman” and won his fifth Grammy award. This weekend at Duke, Sanchez presents his “Birdman” score live onstage alongside a screening of the film. Sanchez augments the ceaseless mayhem and unbroken action of the story with a single continuous drum solo, his restless rhythms tracing the frenzied interplay of the all-star ensemble cast.
It all happens at 8 p.m. Saturday at Duke’s Reynolds Industrial Theatre. $15-$32 ($10 for Duke students). For more information visit dukeperformances.duke.edu.
- Friday, the Ocie Davis Quartet performs at Sharp Nine Gallery in Durham. 8 p.m., $10-$20. Info: durhamjazzworkshop.org.
- Also Friday, catch Benito Gonzalez at Durham’s Beyu Caffe. 8 and 10 p.m. $10. Info: beyucaffe.com.
- Saturday, it’s Jesse Fischer at Beyu Caffe. 8 and 10 p.m. $10. Info: beyucaffe.com.
- Tower of Power plays Saturday at The Carolina Theatre in Durham. 8 p.m. $46-$77. Info: carolinatheatre.org.
- On Tuesday The Carolina, it’s multi-instrumentalist Brian Culbertson. 8 p.m., $33-$42. Info: carolinatheatre.org.