Jazz pianist and composer Billy Childs was introduced to the work of singer-songwriter Laura Nyro by his sister when he was just 11 years old. Childs was inspired by Nyro’s blend of Broadway-inspired melodies, jazz improvisation and socially conscious lyrics, and he has returned to that early inspiration for his latest project: a collaboration with vocalists Alicia Olatuja and Moira Smiley. The three of them perform Saturday at Stewart Theatre in N.C. State’s Talley Student Union, joined by a string quartet from the Durham-based Mallarmé Chamber Players.
Tickets for the 8 p.m. show are $35, with discounts for students and seniors. For more information visit: live.arts.ncsu.edu.
- Dynamo (similar in style to Snarky Puppy) plays the Beyu Caffe in Durham Friday. 8 and 10 p.m. $15. Info: beyucaffe.com.
- Also Friday, Carolina Theatre in Durham has jazz quartet Fourplay. 8 p.m. $35-$115. Info: carolinatheatre.org.
- On Saturday, the Jonathan Scales Fourchestra featuring Robert “Sput” Searight (of Snarky Puppy), Mononeon (of Prince & Weedie) and Braimah (of The Nth Power) perform at The Pour House in Raleigh with opener The Funky Knuckles. 9 p.m. $12-$15. Info: thepourhousemusichall.com.
- Saturday in Durham, it’s Hunky Cousin at Beyu Caffe. 8 and 10 p.m. $10. Info: beyucaffe.com.
- Also in Durham Saturday, the Emily Braden Quartet plays at Sharp Nine Gallery. 8 p.m. $10-$20. Info: durhamjazzworkshop.org.
- Dusk Til Durham: Jazz, Hip Hop and Sunsets with The Beast happens Sunday at The Durham. The free music takes place from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Info: thedurham.com.