The Gritz Band is more of an eclectic super-group than your average hip-hop band. Known by some as Erykah Badu’s band and founded by RC WIlliams in 2004, the group is made up of musicians from across Texas and whose repertoire includes, R&B, hip-hop, and soul. RC “Rceeezy” Williams is on keyboards/vocals, Cleon Edwards on drums, TaRon Lockett on percussion, Braylon “Brother B” Lacy on bass, Claudia Melton on vocals, and Jah Born on the MPC (drum machine).
RC & The Gritz play the Beyu Caffe in Durham Saturday for two shows, 7 and 9 p.m. For more information visit: beyucaffe.com.
- The Rebirth Brass Band plays at Durham Central Park Friday. 6-8 p.m. Free; Info: durhamcentralpark.org.
- Friday at Irregardless Cafe in Raleigh it’s the Doug Largent Trio. 9 p.m. Info: irregardless.com.
- Russell Favret plays Friday at the Beyu Caffe. 7 and 9 p.m., $11. Info: beyucaffe.com.
- Also Friday, the Sean Mason Trio plays music inspired by a Painting at Durham’s Sharp Nine Gallery. 8 p.m. $10-$15. Info: durhamjazzworkshop.org.
- Saturday at Sharp Nine, it’s the James Suter Trio. 8 p.m. $10-$15. Info: durhamjazzworkshop.org.