Brace for ‘Downton Abbey’ series finale Sunday
“Downton Abbey” fans will struggle to maintain the stoic (read: cold, unfeeling) resolve of Mr. Carson on Sunday night, when the beloved “Masterpiece” series ends. The finale already aired in the U.K., so if you’re in the market for spoilers, the Internet can help you out, but we are not interested in such rubbish. Right now, we just want to believe that Pelham returns to marry Edith, that Mary stops being such a hateful witch, that Mr. Carson is kinder to Mrs. Hughes, and most importantly, that nobody dies. (Although we don’t particularly care at this point what happens to Daisy.) The two-hour finale airs at 9 p.m. on UNC-TV. A BAFTA celebration of the show is at 8.
For more on what to watch, visit nando.com/warmtv.
- The intriguing new ABC drama “The Family,” moves to its regular time slot Sunday at 9. The series, starring Joan Allen as an ambitious politician whose youngest son returns to the family after ten years in captivity (and after being presumed murdered that whole time), premiered on Thursday.
- “A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness” won an Oscar for Best Documentary Short on Sunday, and you can watch it Monday night at 9 on HBO. The film is about honor killings in Pakistan, told from a survivor’s point of view. Saba, an 18-year-old girl, was shot and thrown in a river by her own family for secretly eloping with her lover — and lived to tell the tale.
- Also Monday, A&E debuts “Damien,” a new series that puts a twist on the old “Omen” movies. In this iteration, a war photographer named Damien Thorn has a traumatic experience while on assignment in Syria and has to face the fact that he is the Antichrist. It airs at 10 p.m., right after the Season 4 premiere of “Bates Motel.”
- ABC debuts a Biblical drama on Tuesday: “Of Kings and Prophets” (10 p.m.) is based on the books of Samuel, telling the stories of Saul and David and their families.
- The men’s basketball ACC Tournament starts Wednesday on WRAL, airing through Saturday night’s championship game.