The Mini Page - Issue 37
Standards Spotlight: Be a Pro Online
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page’s content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week’s standard:
Students practice responsible use of technology systems, information and software. (Technology: Social, Ethical and Human Issues)
1. Draw a picture of yourself with your favorite online device. Write a sentence telling how you are responsible online.
2. In your newspaper, circle pictures of people using online devices. Put a star by the devices you use.
3. List five things to do with an online device. Find items in the newspaper that will let you do the same thing offline.
4. Why are these important to online behavior: (a) social media, (b) passwords, (c) malware and (d) “flagging” posts?
5. Keep a log of your online use for one day. Explain how you could reduce your online use by half.
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)